An e-learning course titled ‘Introduction to the International Recommendations on Refugee and IDP Statistics’ has been developed by EGRISS in collaboration with United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (UN-SIAP) as part of the workplan of EGRISS’ Technical Subgroup on Capacity Development. The introductory series is a core element of EGRISS’ capacity development efforts; it aims to introduce the content of the IRRS and IRIS to practitioners working within national statistical systems and increase their capacities to compile statistics on refugees and IDPs. The course contains five modules:
The objectives of the e-learning are for participants to:
- Discuss the role of EGRISS and its outputs in providing the statistical framework for compiling official statistics in response to the various data needs.
- Apply concepts, definitions, methodology, and main data sources for refugee statistics.
- Apply concepts, definitions, methodology, and main data sources for IDP statistics.
- Illustrate implementation issues, including data sharing, data confidentiality, data quality, and metadata.
- Appraise the importance of coordination of data on refugees and IDPs to facilitate policy development.
A facilitated course was carried out from 13 March – 21 April 2023, with 420 participants enrolled.
The self-paced version of the course is currently available. We invite everyone interested to access it through UNSIAP’s learning management system. Participants will be eligible to receive certificates upon successful completion of the course and final assessment.
Future plans for the e-learning course include its availability in other languages and the inclusion of content on statelessness.